- in 2006 Americans spent $15 billion on bottled water; in 2007 that number should reach $16 billion;
- each week, we transport within the United States around 1 billion bottles of water in trucks, ships & trains;
- 1 out of 6 people in the world have no safe, dependable source of drinking water;
- if you bought and drank a bottle of Evian, you could refill that bottle once a day for 10 years, 5 months and 21 days with San Francisco tap water before that water would cost $1.35;
- 24% of the bottled water we buy is simply municipal water repackaged by Coke and Pepsi.
Monday, July 2, 2007
Message in a Bottle
Awhile back, I posted 5 reasons why bottled water is objectively bad. This morning, I came across an article in the July 2007 issue of Fast Company. Author Charles Fishman recites some startling information, including: